Monday, April 26, 2010

Homemade Toasted Muesli

Each morning, I'd serve myself a nice cup of coffee and a breakfast! I wouldn't say my breakfast portion is excessively big, but probably bigger than most girl my size. And my breakfast portion is normally bigger than my hubby! =P For weekdays, I either have a big bowl of cereal (and I do mean a BIG bowl) or a big bowl of porridge, or bircher muesli, or one of those big cafe size muffin, or a thick slice of banana bread. Sometimes on weekends, I'd indulge myself with a big breakky of a thick slice of warm homemade bread (thanks to the bread machine!!!), scrambled egg, sausage or smoked salmon. And an extra pot of baked beans for my hubby (I'm not a big fan of beans!!!) 

The other day, I've found some oats, dried apple, dried apricot, dates, almonds in the pantry, and I know that it's time for some homemade toasted muesli! All I need to go and buy is a bag of mixed seeds, and some apple juice! 

Ingredients:
rolled oats
Dried fruits (any sort of mix), chopped into small bits
almonds 
mixed seeds (or any seeds you want)
apple juice

1. Preheat oven to 180C. 
2. Mix the rolled oats, almonds and mixed seeds in a large bowl, and add enough apple juice to soak the mixture. Set aside for about 15min for the oats to absorb up the juice. 
3. Line a baking tray with baking paper, and scatter the oat mixture on top. 
4. Bake for about 40min or until the oaks are dried and turned brown. Give the mixture a little stir every 15 minutes to avoid burning on one side. 
5. Cool on tray, then mix with dried fruit. Store in air tight container.

Toasted muesli is great with yoghurt and drizzle with honey and some sliced banana or fresh berries! Most importantly it's low in GI, that means I don't start snacking in mid morning!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment