Monday, April 26, 2010

Anzac Biscuits

I remember one girl from my old work, she used to bake anzac biscuits every year to 'celebrate' the event... ummm... more like she just wanted to give herself an excuse to bake!! haha, because she was a real baker! 

Since I've changed job, and no more anzac biscuits from the girl! And all of a sudden, I had the crave for the fragrant from the golden syrup, so I've decided that to bake some anzac biscuits, which I have never done before... Oh no, I lied! I think I have baked it before, back in Year 7 in Home Economic class! 

Some like the anzac biscuits chewy and some like crunchy, personally I don't have a preference, because I only like the smell of golden syrup! haha... 


Ingredients:
115g plain flour
1 tsp ground ginger
165g rolled oats
140g brown sugar
2 tbs boiling water
2 tbs golden syrup 
1 tbs bicarbonate of soda
125g butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 160C. Line the tray with baking paper. 
2. Sift the flour and ginger into a large bowl. Add the rolled oats and sugar. Stir to combine. 
3. Combine boiling water, golden syrup and bicarbonate of soda in a small jug. Once the mixture froths up, stir in the butter. Set aside to cool. 
4. Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture and use a wooden spoon to combine. 
5. Roll 2 tsp of mixture into a ball and place onto the lined tray, flatten slightly with your fingers. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Leaving about 3cm between each biscuit. 
6. Bake in oven for 15min. Cool on tray, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. 

Again, I don't like shredded coconut, so I ignored that ingredient! =P 

My anzac biscuits turned out a bit too flat!!!! =( I think because I've flattened them too much! Remember to leave enough room between each biscuit, because they do spread quite a bit!!! Also, mine turned out a little chewy. I guess if you like your biscuits to be crunchy, you can bake it for a little longer!

The fantastic smell of golden syrup in the oven filled the whole house while baking!!! And the biscuit tasted beautiful when it was still warm, and not too overly sweet which I like!  

OK.. Anzac biscuits - more room to improve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment