Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A simple Japanese Dinner @ Home...

onigiri

takoyaki

Last Saturday, hubby and I went out for bunch with a group of friends in Crows Nest, and it rained so badly that I didn’t want to go anywhere after brunch except just to go home lie on the couch with a blanket on and watch DVD.


And on a slow raining day, cooking gets lazy too! A quick fix of Japanese meal for dinner is just perfect! I don’t have the Japanese sushi rice in stock, but the medium grain I have at home will do! Get the rice cooked in the rice cooker, once it is done, add a splash of sushi rice vinegar and some sugar (adjust according to your own taste!), then mix in some japanese rice seasoning, and use one of those triangle sushi mould to create the shape (according to Jo, the official name for triangle sushi is onigiri!! Thanks Jo!!!) and wrap it with a strip of seaweed! Done!


Having only onigiri looked a bit plain, so I threw in some takoyaki, wagyu beef slices, and a seaweed salad into the menu. Don’t think that I’ll make the takoyaki from scratch!!! It’s too much effort plus you need to get that special cooking utensil for it, so I just got the frozen ones from the Asian grocery store. You simply just microwave it according to instruction, but I think I’ll chuck it into the oven next time, cos I found that using the microwave makes them lack in colour! ummmm... those frozen takoyaki are not bad, but of course no where as good as the fresh ones. These frozen ones seem to have too much flour in them but not enough octopus pieces... well, it’s only frozen, can’t expect too much! And the real ones should have the fishy flakes on top, and it just happened that I ran out in the pantry, but I think I can deal with that!!! The Japanese BBQ sauce and mayo definitely helped to save the dish! hahaha...



No comments:

Post a Comment