Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chinese Street Food - Red Bean Pudding (砵仔糕)


What characterise the food in Hong Kong is the fact that you can enjoy some delicious cheap street food, as well as some micheline star restaurants in this small bustling city. However, because of hygiene and safety control, those temporary or 'on-the-run' street foods are very hard to find nowadays!!! I remember when I was little, there was a 'on-the-run' wooden trolley just close by home that sells steam rice noodle with sesame and hoi sin sauce!!!!! I used to have that as breakfast almost every morning before school! And those sauce always ended up staining my white uniform! Opppssss..

Another of my 'on-the-run' favourite is the red bean pudding (that's actually the best I can translate it in chinese!!!) It comes in 2 flavours - brown sugar or white sugar. I actually don't mind both, and it comes in a dish shape with a thick skewer through it, so you can enjoy it without too many 'accident'!!! I don't see them much on the street anymore, last time I saw it was probably in Central near the Lan Kwai Fong district! If you want to try them now, you probably need to get them from Yumcha or some bread shop.

The other day a friend of mine asked me whether I know how to make them, cos she wants to have some. So I promised her that I'll make her some next time I do a batch. This kind of red bean pudding is actually quite easy to make... especially when you have all the ingredients at home! The most frustrating step is boiling the red bean, it's time consuming! It can take up to 40-50 minutes just to soften up the red bean!

Ingredients
3.25oz rice flour (沾米粉)
2oz wheat flour (澄麵)
4oz brown sugar (or white sugar)
red beans

1) Boil the red beans in water for 50 minutes, or until soft. Drain (you might need to keep an eye on the water level, just it case it goes dry!!)
2) Mix rice flour and wheat flour together in a large bowl with 1/2 cup of water until there smooth. Pass the mixture through sieve 3 times.
3) Mix sugar and 1.25 cup of water together in a small pan and bring to a boil. Cool for a minute then add to the flour mixture and stir quickly until smooth.
4) Grease 7 ramekins (or any other small bowl) with spray oil and pour in the flour mixture from step 3. Add in cooked red beans. Steam over high heat for 20 minutes.

These red bean puddings are so delicious and chewy in texture, and you can alter the amount of sugar and red beans you put in to suit your taste. My mum likes here to have LOTS of red beans! And for myself, I'm actually happy to go without any red beans as well... hahaha... I just love that chewy texture!

=)



10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this recipe!! These red bean pudding cakes were one of my favorite things growing up in Hong Kong. I was so happy to find an easy recipe for making them at home since they're hard to find where I am in the US. I made them today and it was simple and very tasty. I like plenty of red beans but like you, it's that chewy texture I love most.

    Out of curiosity, when you said sift the mixture 3x, did you mean the flours? I don't think I can get the mixture through my sieve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can sift the flower if you use something to press it down and through. I used a simple spoon and just ran it down the flour into the sifter. I haven't tried it yet, steaming it now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine came out liquid and it didn't solidify....do you know what went wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 澄麵 is wheat starch, not wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1/2 cup water? how much oz?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! calrose rice nutrition

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. mycfavisit

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you continue looking for the best item, you would be best off outfitted with our suggestions as well as a manual to assist you with recognizing the elements and characteristics your buy ought to have! Click here Best Drill Bit for Drilling out Broken Bolts 2022

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chick-fil-A perceives the developing prominence of cell phones and has made the MyCFAVisit review open through cell phones and tablets. Clients can advantageously partake in the review utilizing their cell phones, making it much more available and easy to understand. MyCFAVisit

    ReplyDelete