Thursday, September 30, 2010

Meet Fresh @ Chinatown

Ok... finally caught up, this is probably the last post in the pipeline so far!!!!

The other day as I was driving along Goldburn St in Chinatown, I saw what used to be a dumpling place at the corner of Goldburn St and Dixon St has closed down, a new Taiwanese restaurant has popped up. Since I was driving, that was all I could see! I said to myself - this needs further investigation!

A few days later, I had to get something done in Chinatown, so I decided to walk from work in Pyrmont at lunch time!!! It was actually quite a good walk, and not as far as I thought, probably just under 20 minute!!! On my way there, I thought I'd go and have a peep at this Taiwanese place. Wow.... queues!!!!!! A long queue outside this Taiwanese eatery which is a dessert house (originally I thought it was a proper restaurant)!!! Although I really wanted to queue up, but it looked like it's a good 30 min wait, so I gave up!

the queue outside - it actually bent around the corner!

Last sunday, hubby and I decided to go for another visit, hoping that the queue would have died down after a week of grand opening. No no no.... the queue was still there, but since we parked our car at a FREE parking spot, so we thought we could afford to queue up for a little while! 30 minutes later we were finally at the door step! The menu from this dessert house basically divided into 3 categories - taro ball, tofu pudding (tofu fa) and drinks.... I have never been a big fan of tofu pudding, so I went straight into the taro ball menu!

The menu is actually quite simple, you have the base ingredients - either taro ball or tofu pudding. Then you have your toppings - red bean, honey bean, pearls, barley, sweet potato etc etc....

Taro ball with peanuts, red beans and pearls $5.50


Taro ball with barley, sweet potato and pearls $5.50

I ordered the taro ball with pearl, barley and sweet potato, and hubby had his with red bean, pearl and peanuts.

The service was quick because all ingredients were ready in their containers, the staff only had to scoop scoop scoop, and done! It has an upstairs seating which you can just relax and rest for a while, but because of the queue, alot of people actually chose to get takeaway!

The dessert is actually quite refreshing, the taro balls were apparently handmade on the premises! It consist of a bowl of shaved ice, topped with chewy taro balls, and the different toppings, and drizzled with brown sugar syrup!!! Not too sweet, just right! Perfect dessert for the upcoming summer time!!!!

Later I found out from a friend that this shop is actually quite a famous chainstore in Taiwan!!!! But can someone tell me how did this English name come about?!?!?! I reckon this store worths a try - maybe after the queue dies down a bit! =P I think I'll come back!!!!


Meet Fresh
Cnr Goldburn St and Dixon St
Chinatown



4 comments:

  1. oh... dessert!! i must go to try~~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes yes.... we can go there together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it up from grab your fork and really wanted to dry next time!! And I thought Dai Leung Dumpling is GONE!?!??!?!!? Hope this one last until I get to try it la... but looks like pretty plain just 2 type of dessert..

    ReplyDelete
  4. they have just finished the buy one get one free promotion, but there's still a very long queue outside apparently... so i guess it will last for a while longer at least!

    ReplyDelete