Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Eveleigh Market @ Redfern + Cafe C @ Newtown

One saturday in September with the fantastic looking weather, we've decided to take Mochi out for the day!!! The rundown is...

Eveleigh Market in the morning
Lunch @ Newtown
Sydney Park in the arvo
Chill out at my sister's place in Edgecliff

Eveleigh Market is one of those markets that I've never been and really want to visit! I got there at around 11am and it was full of people already. Although there were heaps of people, but because the way it was set up, there is only 1 aisle, and stores were on either side of the huge aisle, which leaves plenty of space for people (and dogs!!! there were ALOT of dogs!!!!) to move in between. Eveleigh market is an organic growers market which has more than 70% of the stores selling fresh farm produce such as vege, lamb, beef, cheese, bread etc. The first stall that caught my eyes was Pat and Sticks!!!!! I quickly looked at my watch... ummm... 11am... doesn't sound like a very good time to have ice-cream at this time of the day.... I might have a good walk around first, and hopefully a later time would make me feel not as guilty of eating ice-cream! =P

The next store that caught me was Billy Kwong! I actually saw Kylie Kwong at the store doing some cooking. As usual, having a celebrity chef at a store attracts crowd, and the store was surrounded by so many people that hubby and I decided not to squeeze in now, we'd do a visit at the end of our round trip. But an hour later, we found that it was a wrong decision, because at the end of our tour around the market. A sign saying 'sold out' was sitting at the Kylie Kwong store, and it was empty with no one there! >.<>

The Eveleigh market is actually full of organic vege bargain, but unfortunately because we won't be at home cooking most nights the following week, so we didn't get any food there! =( But Mochi got something! There was a store there that sells natural dog treats called Jollie Its selling point is all treats were made from human grade ingredients with no mystery meat, no chemicals, and no preservatives. Just like all other stalls, it has taste tests! I had a quick sniff at them, they all smelt fantastic! I could actually smell the ingredients that are stated on the packaging! And the stall owner actually popped one cookie into her own mouth, to show me that they are even tasty for human! OKOK.... a box for Mochi... I got him a box of chicken, mushroom and thyme morsels which has a very strong aroma of thyme!!! And the packaging was quite attractive as well, I could easily mistaken that as human food! Unfortunately by the time I got home the box got squashed in my bag, and it wasn't in a very good state for me to take a photo of! Oopppsss.... i reckon this biscuit must be very tasty for the dogs, cos as usual I put a piece of the treat in front of Mochi, and he has to wait till I say 'OK' before he can eat it. This time after 10 sec of waiting, I could see Mochi started drooling!!!! Hahahhaa... haven't seen that before!!!!

OK... after a round trip, back to the beginning... ie. back to the Pat and Sticks store... had another look at the watch... 12pm striked! OK... seemed like a better time to treat myself with an ice-cream... my hubby murmured into my ear... 'well... to you, there's no time in the 24hrs that isn't an ice-cream time for you anyway!!!' =P which is true... but I still wanted to make myself feel healthier... hehehe... I had a quick glance at the menu... then I found my pick - chocolate lace! Rich chocolate ice-cream sandwiches by 2 crunchy laces of caramel.... yummmm... can someone tell me how can you keep something crunchy even after being frozen and slightly defrosted? Usually it will go a little soggy right?!?! AMAZING!!!

Second stop... Newtown for lunch... Where shall we go?!?!? Newtown actually doesn't have alot of eateries that has outdoor seating that caters for dogs! At the end we just walked into a random cafe called Cafe C - had a quick glance at the menu, and my hubby settled with a Grilled Chicken Burger, and I ordered a Blueberry Bagel with sausage on the side.... haha.. yes, recently I have this habit of ordering sausage on the side of something that is totally irrelevant! The food came relatively quickly, the grilled chicken fillet was very tender and juicy, the sauce was just the right amount. It was sandwiched between a damper roll with chips on the side! I love damper! I reckon this burger is pretty good for value and standard is slightly above average... can't complain! There is nothing special about the bagel, but for the sausage... ummm.... not meeting the standard! It didn't taste like a gourmet sausage that you would expect to get in a cafe, and I could taste the fatty meat instead of a lean juicy one. Also it wasn't cooked fully, probably 80% cooked... which didn't quite help. =(

After lunch... we drove to the nearby Sydney Park for our King Mochi, so he could have a run! Sydney park is great for having a picnic and fantastic for dogs. It's an off leash park and it's huuggggeeee!!!!! With the beautiful sunshine, hubby and I just decided to lay on the grass and enjoyed the sun and absorbing some Vitamin D while Mochi runs wild in the park. It was such beautiful day with a light breeze, both of us just quickly fell asleep!!! hahaha... an afternoon nap... but unfortunately, this random little dog just decided to trot on us every 20 min as if he didn't want us to sleep! But anyway, I still enjoyed the 20 min power nap!

If you guys have a dog... feel free to explore this route... Eveleigh Market > Newtown > Sydney park... I reckon this will be a relaxing day for you to enjoy with your beloved 4 legged animal!

=)


No comments:

Post a Comment