Monday, January 3, 2011

Cream Brulee Cheesecake


The first section I walk to when I go into a book store is the cookbook section!!! I just love flicking through those books with beautiful pictures with delicious looking food!! In my recent trip to Hong Kong, I bought a couple of cook books, and one of them is all about dessert and cakes. What's different about the dessert books in Aus and hong kong is that hong kong ones are much more fancy and delicate with a touch of Japanese and French, where as most desserts here are very rustic and bold.

First recipe I tried out from this new dessert cook book "Everyday Treats 2" is the earl grey mousse cake, but unfortunately I can't remember whether I took a picture for it... oopppsss.. I need to have a good look at my photo library!!!

And this cream brulee cheesecake is the second cake from the book. And one thing to note is Asian Cookbooks tend to cater for smaller portions. For desserts, I usually have to do either 1.5 times or double the recipe to suit the standard cake tins here!

Ingredients:
120g Arnotts Nice biscuits (or whatever plain biscuits you like)
50g melted unsalted butter
52g cream cheese (I used the light version!)
100 whole egg
52g egg yolk
365g whipping cream
40g sugar
160g sour cream
1/4 tsp vanilla essence

1) Use a food processor to break the biscuits into crumbs (or put the biscuits in a freezer bag, and crush with a rolling pin, but I usually use a food processor because it's much quicker, and less effort! :P)
2) Add in melted butter and mix well
3) Press the biscuits mixture into the tin base. And refrigerate until needed.
4) Whisk cream cheese and sugar using a hand whisk. Add in sour cream and mix well.
5) Add in eggs and egg yolk gradually. Mix well. Then add in whipping cream and vanilla essence. Mix well.
6) Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 80min at 150 degrees.
7) Leave it in the oven with the oven door slightly opened to cool completely. Sprinkle with brown sugar (or raw sugar) on top and caramelise with a culinary torch.

The above recipe is my modified version, which suits the standard cake tins here. Plus I modified the whole egg and egg yolk proportion so I don't 'waste' as much egg white! Well... I usually do store the egg white for use of something else. And what I like about Asian recipes is that they tend to be less sweet!!!!! I guess it's kinda healthier!!! =P


1 comment: