Tuesday, June 1, 2010

New Shanghai @ Chatswood Chase

I must say Chatswood is the suburb where you can find almost all kinds of cuisine. There's Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Modern Australian, Italian.... and in the recent year, it has opened up 2 Shanghainese restaurants, one in Lemon Grove, and one in Chatswood Chase. The one in Lemon Grove has opened up probably 6 months or more now, but funny enough, I've walked passed it so many times, but never been in there before. Maybe because my dad kept on saying it's very noisy inside! 


But anyway... last Saturday, I've decided to give the one in Chatswood Chase a go. My hubby and I got there around 12:15 and there was already a queue outside! OK, the Chinese theory is "wherever there's a queue, that shop must be good!" 2 seconds before we got to the waitstaff, a woman with the pram barged in from the side and got a ticket before us! At that moment, we thought "OK, you've got a pram, we'll let you go before us!!" Although there were no child in the pram! But 2 minutes later we regretted! The wait staff kept on calling out the numbers and no one responded, people must have gone walkabout while waiting. And the next minute the waitstaff called out the number before us!!!! The woman with the empty pram!!! Arrrgghhhhh.... We ended up waiting for another 20 minutes instead of the 2 minutes! 



While we were waiting outside, we already looked at the menu and decided what we were going to order. So my hubby used his half Mandarin and half Cantonese to order our food! haha... =P Steamed pork dumpling, stir fry rice cake with XO sauce, and hot and sour soup. We sat at the bar area where there were 3 chefs performing the dumpling wrapping technique, perfect place for me to take photos! 

Food arrived rather quickly, and we were sooo hungry, so we dug in straight away!

Hot and sour soup

I think it can be hotter, in terms of both taste and temperature! 


Stir fry rice cake with XO sauce

As you can see, the serving size here are quite small!!!! Much smaller than the ones you get in Ashfield (although you can find this same restaurant there!) However the taste is not bad, and it's unlike some places where they put alot of oil in! A bit more spices would be great though! 


Steamed pork dumping

Finally here! When I picked the first dumpling up with my chopstick, I could see the soup inside weighted down the dumpling forming a little sack of soup! I just couldn't wait till I put it in my mouth and have that glorious soup fills my entire mouth! Yummmm.... It was delicious, the dumpling was full of flavour and full of soup. The skin was just the right thickness, slightly thicker than Din Tai Fung, but I didn't mind it, cos it gives it a little bit of chewiness to it!!!! After the first dumpling, I just immediately reached for the second one! 

Both hubby and I walked out feeling satisfied, and agreed that New Shanghai has pretty good steamed pork dumplings, and next time we'll go back for the pan fried ones! 

New Shanghai
Lower Ground Level, 
Chatswood Chase

No comments:

Post a Comment